Saturday, August 4, 2012

Half Marathon Training Update

Ok, I know I have been seriously slacking on my updates this week. It's been one of those weeks.

I know last Sunday, I posted what my routine for the week was going to look like. While I stuck to my "run" days, I did make some changes based on my personal schedule and other plans I had going on in the week. I think that's something that is important when creating your training plans or workout schedule for the week, be flexible. I find that for myself, if I am not flexible, I get off track and get down on myself. There was definitely a couple of times that our alarms went off this week and I couldn't get out of bed to head to the gym. But instead I said I would sleep for 20 more minutes and then take Peanut on a walk. The important thing is to still move. Other week's I will opt for a yoga or spin class after work instead. Make changes, do what is going to work best for you. Sometimes our bodies need that extra 20 minutes of sleep.

So here is what I had planned for my fitness schedule last Sunday:
  • Monday: Strength and Stretch. I also have a meeting with a personal trainer in the morning.
  • Tuesday: 3 mile run
  • Wednesday: 2 mile easy run on treadmill or elliptical + arms
  • Thursday: 3 mile run
  • Friday: 30 minute cross/strength
  • Saturday: 4 mile run
  • Sunday: rest
Here is what my week ended up looking like:

Monday: Day off from work! Met with a personal trainer for an assessment. I learned some more helpful moves on the foam roller which will be extremely helpful for me as I get into longer runs on my training plan. I originally had planned to go to Yoga at noon, but there was too much time after my personal training session so I opted for a 2.5 mile walk with Peanut and my future brother-in-law's dog. My night was followed up with seeing my all time favorite band, Coldplay, in concert. It was amazing.


Tuesday: My birthday! Ran 3.02 miles in 26:41 before my family came up and brought me dinner (and presents!). I was so excited this year to get gift certificates for new running shoes, some clothes from Lululemon (I might be obessed), and a gift certificate to my nail salon.

Wednesday: Slept in! Rest day.

Thursday: Back on track with a 4.03 mile run in 36:33.

Friday: Walked Peanut for 2.14 miles and 45 minutes

Saturday: Holy crap is today muggy! Yesterday I mapped out a new route that was 5 miles and was looking forward to trying it out. This was the first time I would ever be running 5 miles. And I did it! It wasn't easy, it was really hot and ended up being pretty hilly, which shows when I look at the times of each mile.


Since meeting with the personal trainer on Monday, he recommended that I eat Greek Yogurt with granola and fruit an hour before my run. It seems to be helping in keeping my energy levels up throughout my run without being too heavy in my stomach. Usually I am too hot when I get back to the house, so I have been making a smoothie to refuel and hydrate with.

Hope you all had a great week and enjoy the rest of your weekend! I'm off to eat Watermelon :)


Xox. Kaylin

No comments:

Post a Comment