Friday, July 20, 2012

Training for My First Half Marathon

Hey guys! Sorry I have been MIA this past week... it's been pretty busy over here! Including making my training plan for my first Half Marathon(eeek)!

One of the reasons why I wanted to start this blog was to document my journey to getting/staying fit and healthy for my wedding day. I rekindled my love for the gym and working out shortly after we got engaged. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't crash diet or do anything extreme in preparation for our wedding day. The last thing I need to do is become bridezilla be stressed out and crabby because I am not fueling properly and taking care of myself.

At first I was a little nervous with getting bored with the gym and frustrated with not seeing results. I have to say, with a little over six months to go, I do not feel this way. I've been trying out new workouts every week and I love how it's keeping me interested in getting up every morning for the gym! But anyways, running a Half Marathon and the Boston Marathon are on my bucket list. I'm not mentally ready to train for a full marathon yet, but I felt ready to try a half. Plus, I thought I was going to be ready for a change in my workout routine and itching to try something new. When one of our friends told me she was going to sign up for the Newport Half Marathon I couldn't resist. So a couple months ago I signed up too.

I wanted to create a training plan to hold myself accountable (plus, I like having things planned out). There are so free many resources out there (here, here, and here) not to mention all the bloggers who also blog about their personal training plans (here and here). I really liked Hal Hidgon's Novice 1 Training Program, but knew I wouldn't be able to commit to a long run on Sunday. So I made a couple of changes based on my current routine.

So here is what I came up with:
  • Mondays: Strength & Stretching
  • Tuesdays: Starting with a 3 mile run and working up to a 5 mile run as I get closer to the race
  • Wednesdays: 2-3 mile run, cross training or strength training. I plan to use a coupon I have for a Real Ryde spin class or yoga.
  • Thursdays: Starting with a 3 mile run and working up to a 5 mile run as I get closer to the race
  • Fridays: Cross and arm workouts
  • Saturday: Long run
  • Sunday: Rest 
Couple of notes:
  • I plan to use my Monday strength days to continue with one of my favorite exercise classes. It's a class focused mostly on core work, but also does some work for the booty and arms. I probably won't work my legs as hard as I have been in this class and definitely be sure to do some foam rolling after.
  • Use my Wednesdays as my "free day" to do whatever I am in the mood to do. If I want to run again, I will. If I want to go to spin or maybe even Yoga, I will. Or maybe I'll just go to the gym and lift some weights. I am hoping having this random "free day" will keep me from getting bored.
  • Friday's will also be a day where I take it as an easier day and do some cross training.
  • I still need to find my 5 and 10K races for two long run Saturdays.
If something isn't working out, I am ok with making a change. As long as I stick to the mileage, I am confident that I will be ready for the race! Oh yeah, I also think this means I need to bite the bullet and buy a foam roller.

Training starts Monday... stay tuned to see how it's going :)

Xox. Kaylin

Question: Do you base your training plans off your normal routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment