Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Let the Training Begin

Today was my second day of my half marathon training, and it was also a day off for me. My cousin has been visiting from out of town and today was his last day in town and took it off so I could show him a couple last things around the city and take him to the airport. I was even able to squeeze in a quick trip to Trader Joe's and Target after I dropped him off. Somehow I also managed to only spend $20... that NEVER happens.

Let's rewind.


Yesterday was day 1 of my half marathon training. Monday's are hard to get going as is, so I was happy that my plan allowed me to stick with one of my favorite classes after work that includes 30 minutes of strength training. After class, I foam rolled for 10-15 minutes before heading home.

My parents were coming into town to take my cousin out to dinner at our favorite restaurant in the area, Sunset Grill. If you are from the Boston area and love beer (and good food), you have to check this place out. They have over 112 beers on tap and countless ones in bottles. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

I didn't take any pictures (oops, sorry!) but the family and I got some stuffed quahogs to share as an appetizer. They were delicious! So moist and a ton of flavor. For dinner I ordered a special they were running which included two soft shell tacos with fresh seared tuna, mango salsa, and some other delicious dressing. There were two delicious sides it came with too. I paired my meal with the recommended brew, St. Arnold Weedwacker beer, which was also delicious.


I got to bed a little later than I wanted to last night, so it was hard to wake up this morning. But I had 3 miles to run! I finally pulled myself out of bed, fed Peanut, and made myself 1/2 of a sandwich thin with peanut butter and 1/2 a banana.

I headed out the door and 29 minutes later, I ran 3 miles!

Despite the muggy weather, I felt really good! I think the pre-run fuel really helped me get going this morning. I usually only eat half of a banana or drink a coconut water before hitting the gym, but after reading a blog post written by Gina over at the Fitnessista yesterday. Her post came at the perfect time for me!

After my run I showered and got ready for another touristy day! Before heading out the door I made a Green-a-colada smoothie to fuel up.

I can not get enough of these smoothies!

We headed over to Fenway to attend their tour. We bought our tickets and had some time to kill so we grabbed a sausage with onions and peppers on Yawkey Way. The tour started shortly after and last for about an hour and 15 minutes. I highly recommend the Fenway tour if you have never been. It's so interesting and they take you to all the parts of the park with the best views.

Then we headed over to the Harpoon Brewery for a tasting. Yum.

Overall it was a really great weekend. We had a lot of fun showing my cousin around town and doing some of the touristy stuff. It's actually interesting to do them now that I am a little older and appreciate things a bit more.

Once I got home, I made a pesto, mozzarella and tomato pizza on Trader Joe's bread with a side salad mixed with veggies from a farm stand we stopped at on our way home from the beach on Sunday. It was good!

I'm off to relax a bit before bed! Hope your Monday and Tuesday was good!

Xox. Kaylin

No comments:

Post a Comment