I had dinner planned from the second I woke up that morning and saw it was raining out. I was craving something comforting and immediately thought about a pasta bake that my mom told me she made the other week. I emailed her for the recipe and checked out the ingredients. We had most of the ingredients at the house, but after spin I made a quick stop a Trader Joe's to pick up some stuff I
The recipe is from KraftRecipes.com called Three-Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta Bake. I decided to make some changes based on what I had in the fridge and my own cravings.
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups multi-grain fusilli pasta, uncooked
- 1 pkg. (9 oz.) fresh spinach leaves
- lb. White Meat Ground Turkey (from TJs)
- dried basil leaves (I didn't really measure this)
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- About 14 oz. spaghetti sauce I had in the fridge
- 1 wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco & Chipolte
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and another handful to top it off
While the water was boiling/pasta was cooking, I sauteed up the onions and zucchini and in a separate pan browned up the ground turkey with the dried basil. When the turkey was browned, I added in the can of drained fire roasted tomatoes and spaghetti sauce until it was mixed well and brought to a boil.
Once boiling, I added in the wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese and let it simmer until the cheese was fully melted. Then I drained the pasta over the fresh package of spinach (quick and easy way to wilt it!) and combined all three mixes in the big pan where I had the onion and zucchini cooking. Finally, I added the cheese and put everything into a 2QT dish. Into the oven it went for 20 minutes.
While I waited I took a quick shower and then made up a quick salad to have on the side. When the timer was down to 3 minutes, I topped the dish off with another handful of cheese and put it back in the oven to melt. The result, comforting cheese pasta goodness.
Needless to say it was a hit!