Monday, September 24, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Falling in love with 5

Happy first official day of fall! The weather has been absolutely amazing here in Boston and I love this transition time where it's not quite time for jackets and all the delicious fall food/drinks are out.

Obviously I have been slacking on keeping up with the blog posts! The truth is, things have been crazy around here. I went back to my old company for a new and improved position. It's been exciting and I'm super happy about my decision, but my work schedule gets me home from work later than I have been getting home in the last 6+ months. On top of that, wedding planning has kicked into high gear! Between registering, working on invitations and everything else that goes with planning a wedding less than 5 months away, I just haven't had time to think about anything else! Oh...except running ;) Which reminds me...

Half Marathon Training

With only three weeks left of training, I can honestly say I have fallen in love with running. And I've really fallen in love with running 5 miles. It's quick, challenging and yet I get the best runner's high when it's all over.

It's not even over and I already feel that I have learned so much about how to fuel my body, what I am capable of, how hard I need to push myself, post run stretching, and so much more. If all goes well in 3 weeks, I can't wait to sign up for another run next spring/summer. I might even try to squeeze in a 10K before the gross weather winter rolls in.

It hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies though. There are still some things I need to learn. Like how to strength train my lower half better during training. I definitely have not been doing enough of that. I recently started bootcamp 1x a week at work with some co-workers and last week (our first day) the trainers killed us with all leg work and I felt it until yesterday after my long run. Just proves that that's a part of my body that I haven't been focusing on helping become stronger. I am hoping that these bootcamp classes will help me to focus on that a little more these last couple of weeks. Better late than never, right?

Another thing that I struggle with is wondering if I am running enough on my long runs or during the weeks. There are so many different training plans out there that recommend different mileage through out the week. For awhile I was contemplating changing up the last couple of weeks to get in some higher mileage closer to the 13.1. But, ultimately I decided that it's probably best to stick to the plan. It's not called a plan for nothing, right?

Preparing for the week ahead
One of the things I have been trying to do better now that my days are longer is to plan out my meals and exercises for the week. I've been enjoying a couple hours in the kitchen on Sundays prepping some snacks and meals for the week ahead, I actually find it relaxing! So here is how the week is shaping up:

Meals:
On Sunday I prepped some quinoa, pumpkin butter (which also doubles as making your house smell amazing), amazeballs, Paleo Morning Glory Muffins (Dad approved when I fed him one with pumpkin butter this afternoon).
 
Sunday: Sweet Potato Chili
Monday: Crock Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken w/veggies on the side
Tuesday: Crock Pot Turkey Loaf
Wednesday: Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Thursday: Stromboli
Friday: Wing it!

Exercise:
Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: Bootcamp
Wednesday: 5 miles
Thursday: 3 miles cross & some wedding arm workouts
Friday: long walk with Peanut
Saturday: 8-9 mile long run
I'm hoping to be able to continue to update these next couple of weeks and get back into the blogging groove. There are a lot of exciting things coming up that I want to share! 

So there you have it! I'll be back soon for another post, I promise!

PS. Thanks to Joanna for giving me a little motivation to get back to posting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment